Friday, November 25, 2016

(Is)land of the Rising Sun

No. 29
Nineteen years ago, I enviously waved goodbye to my brother Watson as the chartered James River Bus pulled away from an otherwise desolate strip-mall parking lot in Richmond, bringing him and the other members of West Richmond Little League’s All-Star baseball team to Dulles airport for a 13.5 hour flight to Japan – his first trip abroad. For years afterwards, I dreamt - as little brothers often do – of following in my big brother’s footsteps, just without the whole baseball bit (I am such a bad player that I was lucky if permitted to watch from under the bleachers). Whether playing with a small, golden souvenir of Edo Castle or marveling at his leftover Japanese Yen with the iconic holes in the center, I lost myself in daydreams encountering ninjas and samurai, walking past geishas, visiting ancient shrines and gardens, and crossing steeply curved wooden bridges. Nineteen years waiting, I was happier than Jean Valjean – 24601, I am no more!
 
Arriving at Kansai airport is a life-long dream come true. When I first became an AV Geek (aviation), I loved seeing pictures and watching videos of planes landing at Kansai; my other favorite was Hong Kong Kai Tak, which closed in 1998. For a small boy from a small city with a rather small, landlocked airport, imagining an airport built on a man-made island was utter fantasy. I’ve watched every Discovery Channel program about the airport, fascinated by the engineering used to build an island and the unique design of the terminal building – angled to resemble a slight exposure of a giant circle that descends a over a mile underground.


The "curve"
However incredible the architectural, environmental, and engineering feats accomplished, even the best airports have their pitfalls. Without a doubt the immigration line was the worst I’ve ever experienced. A clusterf**k of epic proportions ensued with no fewer than six fully loaded international flights arriving within fifteen minutes of one another. Of the twentyish immigration desks, only ten were active; seven for Japanese nationals, and just three for foreigners, even though foreigners outnumbered Japanese at least 3-to-1.  Fortunately, a faint Wi-Fi signal had enough bandwidth left for me to pass the advice onto Alex ahead of his arrival later that afternoon.  Lesson learned: never again will I take my time walking from the plane – even if I’m not in hurry. My only consolidation prize: passport stamp #29.

Of course there'd be a phallic object penetrating my sweeping city view  
Osaka’s overwhelming size seems at times endless. The high-speed train to the city took well over an hour, passing many “towns” along the way and stopping at others. My inability to interpret the route map reached the point I feared I was on the wrong train. Drowning out my fears with the soundtrack to You Only Live Twice, I found solace looking out at the changing scenery, occasionally pivoting my attention to several passengers in traditional Japanese dress, wooden shoes included. At long last I figured out where I was and promptly disembarked [miraculously] at the correct metro station. After checking into the hotel and familiarizing myself with the proper protocol for using my Japan Rail Pass (courtesy of the concierge), I was given a gentle nudge in the stomach when she mentioned the complimentary shuttle service directly between the hotel and the airport, a much shorter 40-minute journey (Alex wins again). Their complimentary service to Osaka station, i.e., the city’s nerve center, was a welcome consolation prize.  I eagerly hopped aboard to rendezvous with a dear friend from Lexington.

Spotting the fabulous T. Maxey amongst an infinite tsunami of people proved anything but daunting. A gorgeous woman, her six-foot-four figure alone towered above everyone; her massive Diana Ross hair spired upwards, increasing her height another foot at least! (And I thought her presence commanded enough attention in the US!) Undoubtedly hundreds of eyes fixated on us in astonishment as we skipped towards one another and jumped into our arms with the biggest two-person hug ever seen in the Eastern hemisphere.

Glico Man
At Taylor’s suggestion we made our way to Dotonbori, the youthful, energetic beating heart of this megalopolis. A massive complex of high-rises, restaurants, shops, malls, bars, clubs, you name it – lining either side of a long, boat filled canal; Osaka’s eclectic, modern version of San Antonio’s River Walk. The ten-story high “Glico Man” welcomes all, “sprinting” along a rainbow track, arms raised high in jubilation as loud electronic dance music ricochets off the buildings. Throngs of tourists extend their ridiculous selfie-sticks while others unleash wave after wave of blinding flashes, capturing every pose imaginable. Oh, the humanity!  

Snacking and drinking our way through the district, I quickly deduce Osaka’s reputation as an unending amalgamation of diverse culture and intense energy an understatement. Clearly New York, Hong Kong, and Shanghai secretly had a threesome and birthed this city – there simply isn’t any other explanation. Copious amounts of saké, edamame, and sashimi gave way to more specialized, local fare. One certainly doesn’t come across Okonomiyaki (O-ko-no-mi-ya-key) often, if ever, in the US, except perhaps in major cities with a Japan Town. Call it a “Japanese pancake,” this round, fried batter concoction is mixed with vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, and onions, coated in a thick, brown reduction, and topped-off with squid shavings or other thinly sliced meats. “Unique” is the only word that comes to mind – unless I were traveling in a moving vehicle whereby I could formulate many a negative description. I happily requested a to-go box, tightly sealed, to pass onto Alex for his late-supper. He enjoyed it far more than me.

Dotonbori
My absolute favorite thing about traveling is meeting up with friends in far-flung places around the world. Neither Taylor nor I could have possibly imagined the last time we were together in good ole Lex Vegas – five years previous – that our next encounter would be in Osaka. Just as I’m thinking it can’t get any better, the universe reveals another trick from her sleeve: our close friend from Beijing whom we wouldn’t be seeing while in China had made a last-minute trip to Osaka and was out in Dotonbori.  

Fierce
Enter fashion legend Eddie K., renowned the world over for literally purging 80% of my wardrobe in just under twenty minutes*. I’m fairly confident he was moments away from having a stroke due to excessive eye rolling as I pleaded my case to keep the other 20%. Eddie left my apartment that night unscathed, but I made no secret that my unfashionable appearance this evening surely would inflict nightmarish flashbacks. Poor Eddie – after a tremendous amount of time, patience, and effort just to lift me to the lower echelons of fashion, I greeted him in the plainest “American” attire imaginable: jeans, bland shoes, and a simple, zip-up black jacket; nothing says ‘high fashion’ like Marshals. “At least you styled your hair,” he chuckled.

*Let it be known that Keith H. was there too and "just as brutal."

Alex and I waited outside, scouting out two small gay bars in what I consider the cleanest alley on earth (Keep Calm and Embrace my Exaggeration). Downstairs, Explosion was rife with festive youths awkwardly “dancing” – read: standing upright, ever so slightly shifting body from side to side, back to front, feet firmly cemented in place, sporting their most enticing undergarments for tonight’s underwear party. Decent electric house music and enjoyably eye-catching scenery were not enough to warrant paying the excessive cover fee. For all our self-confidence, we politely declined the doorman’s offer to waive our cover in exchange for stripping down to our undies.

"You really need to let Alex buy clothes for you." - Eddie 
Upstairs, Physique Pride Osaka was more to our liking, a quaint little bar no bigger than 150ft2 (ironic name choice compared to neighbor below). The cozy atmosphere coupled with a witty, engaging bartender who spoke perfect English easily allowed us to catch up, enjoy a few too many drinks, and make friends with the other visiting patrons from Mexico, Germany, and the US. Passersby assumed from our merriment that we were having a private party – which to a degree wasn’t without merit. Having slowly become unaccustomed to late night partying since moving to Austin meant our night drew to a close far sooner than expected of us.


The following morning Taylor met us at the Osaka Living and Housing Museum complete with a full-scale mock-up of an Edo-period town. Despite resounding attention to detail and impressive day/night transition simulation, strolling through this “soundstage” left me feeling rather disappointed. In all fairness the museum makes a noble effort to preserve a culturally significant period of Japanese history in the face of widespread destruction during World War II and subsequent rapid modernization immediately following. Osaka did not enjoy the same benefit of time, space, or philanthropic capital afforded to Colonial Williamsburg. Regardless, the museum includes both sketches and miniature models depicting the evolution of Osaka from a small consortium of villages into the sprawling metropolis today.

Osaka Living and Housing Museum


No comments:

Post a Comment